What’s New in the Third Edition, Revised Printing
The same great book gets better! This revised printing features all of the original content along with these additional features:
· Appendix A (Assemblers, Linkers, and the SPIM Simulator) has been moved from the CD-ROM into the printed book
· Corrections and bug fixes
Third Edition features
New pedagogical features
· Understanding Program Performance
- Analyzes key performance issues from the programmer’s perspective
· Check Yourself Questions
- Helps students assess their understanding of key points of a section
· Computers In the Real World
- Illustrates the diversity of applications of computing technology beyond traditional desktop and servers
· For More Practice
- Provides students with additional problems they can tackle
· In More Depth
- Presents new information and challenging exercises for the advanced student
New reference features
· Highlighted glossary terms and definitions appear on the book page, as bold-faced entries in the index, and as a separate and searchable reference on the CD.
· A complete index of the material in the book and on the CD appears in the printed index and the CD includes a fully searchable version of the same index.
· Historical Perspectives and Further Readings have been updated and expanded to include the history of software R&D.
· CD-Library provides materials collected from the web which directly support the text.
In addition to thoroughly updating every aspect of the text to reflect the most current computing technology, the third edition
· Uses standard 32-bit MIPS 32 as the primary teaching ISA.
· Presents the assembler-to-HLL translations in both C and Java.
· Highlights the latest developments in architecture in Real Stuff sections:
- Intel IA-32
- Power PC 604
- Google’s PC cluster
- Pentium P4
- SPEC CPU2000 benchmark suite for processors
- SPEC Web99 benchmark for web servers
- EEMBC benchmark for embedded systems
- AMD Opteron memory hierarchy
- AMD vs. 1A-64
New support for distinct course goals
Many of the adopters who have used our book throughout its two editions are refining their courses with a greater hardware or software focus. We have provided new material to support these course goals:
New material to support a Hardware Focus
· Using logic design conventions
· Designing with hardware description languages
· Advanced pipelining
· Designing with FPGAs
· HDL simulators and tutorials
· Xilinx CAD tools
New material to support a Software Focus
· How compilers work
· How to optimize compilers
· How to implement object oriented languages
· MIPS simulator and tutorial
· History sections on programming languages, compilers, operating systems and databases
On the CD
· NEW: Search function to search for content on both the CD-ROM and the printed text
· CD-Bars: Full length sections that are introduced in the book and presented on the CD
· CD-Appendixes: Appendices B-D
· CD-Library: Materials collected from the web which directly support the text
· CD-Exercises: For More Practice provides exercises and solutions for self-study
· In More Depth presents new information and challenging exercises for the advanced or curious student
· Glossary: Terms that are defined in the text are collected in this searchable reference
· Further Reading: References are organized by the chapter they support
· Software: HDL simulators, MIPS simulators, and FPGA design tools
· Tutorials: SPIM, Verilog, and VHDL
· Additional Support: Processor Models, Labs, Homeworks, Index covering the book and CD contents
Instructor support provided on textbooks.elsevier.com:
· Solutions to all the exercises
· Figures from the book in a number of formats
· Lecture slides prepared by the authors and other instructors
· Lecture notes
*For the Revised Printing, Appendix A appears in the printed book rather than on the CD. This is the only change.
*Explains the latest benchmarking software including SPEC CPU2000 suite for processors, SPEC Web99 for web servers, and EEMBC for embedded systems
*Features the latest developments of the Intel IA-32 architecture as well as the Power PC 604, the AMD Opteron Memory, and the Intrinsity FastMATH processor.
*Compares MIPs assembler code to both C and Java
"Sinopsis" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
A thourough update of the Morgan Kaufmann classic.From the Back Cover:
The performance of software systems is dramatically affected by how well software designers understand the basic hardware technologies at work in a system. Similarly, hardware designers must understand the far-reaching effects their design decisions have on software applications. For readers in either category, this classic introduction to the field provides a look deep into the computer. It demonstrates the relationships between the software and hardware and focuses on the foundational concepts that
are the basis for current computer design.
As with previous editions, a MIPS processor is the core used to present the fundamentals of hardware technologies at work in a computer system. The book presents an entire MIPS instruction setinstruction by instructionthe fundamentals of assembly language, computer arithmetic, pipelining, memory hierarchies, and I/O, and introduces the essentials of network and multiprocessor architectures.
A new aspect of the third edition is the explicit connection between program performance and CPU performance. The authors show how hardware and software componentssuch as the specific algorithm, programming language, compiler, instruction set architecture, and processor implementationimpact program performance. This edition also digs deeper into related hardware and software issues, offering specific material on the CD for readers with a hardware or software focus.
A CD provides a toolkit of simulators and compilers along with tutorials for using them.
Also by the same authors: Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, Third Edition, the classic reference for computer systems analysis and design.
F E A T U R E S
* Entire text has been updated to reflect new technology
* Uses standard 32-bit MIPS 32 as the primary teaching ISA
* Highlights the latest developments in architecture:
+ Intel IA-32
+ Power PC 604
+ Pentium P4
+ Googles PC cluster
+ SPEC CPU2000 benchmark suite for processors
+ vSPEC Web99 benchmark for web
+ EEMBC benchmark for embedded systems
+ AMD Opteron memory hierarchy
+ AMD vs. 1A-64
+ Intrinsitys FastMATH processor servers
* New material for a Hardware Focus
+ Using logic design conventions
+ Designing with hardware description languages
+ Advanced pipelining
+ Designing with FPGAs
+ HDL simulators and tutorials
+ Xilinx CAD tools
* New material for a Software Focus
+ How compilers work
+ How to optimize compilers
+ How to implement object oriented languages
+ History sections on programming languages, compilers, operating systems, and databases
"Sobre este título" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Descripción Elsevier, 2007. N.A. Estado de conservación: New. International Edition. International Edition. Nº de ref. de la librería 415436
Descripción Estado de conservación: Brand New. PAPERBACK,Book Condition New, International Edition. We Do not Ship APO FPO AND PO BOX. Cover Image & ISBN may be different from US edition but contents as US Edition. Printing in English language.NO CD AND ACCESS CODE. Quick delivery by USPS/UPS/DHL/FEDEX/ARAMEX ,Customer satisfaction guaranteed. We may ship the books from Asian regions for inventory purpose. Nº de ref. de la librería CABEBS*#7841
Descripción Estado de conservación: New. This is an Int'l Edition. Please note: We do not ship to PO Boxes, please provide us with your complete delivery address. Nº de ref. de la librería DZBWCBSOO-2689
Descripción Estado de conservación: Brand New. Brand New Original US Edition, Perfect Condition. Printed in English. Excellent Quality, Service and customer satisfaction guaranteed!. Nº de ref. de la librería AIND-11124
Descripción Estado de conservación: New. New. Original edition. Perfect condition. Customer satisfaction our priority. Nº de ref. de la librería ABE-FEB-16493
Descripción Estado de conservación: Brand New. New. SoftCover Original edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Nº de ref. de la librería SHUB16493
Descripción Elsevier. Estado de conservación: New. pp. 621. Nº de ref. de la librería 7412051
Descripción Estado de conservación: New. Brand New Original US Edition.We Ship to PO BOX Address also. EXPEDITED shipping option also available for faster delivery. Nº de ref. de la librería AUSBNEW-11124
Descripción Estado de conservación: Brand New. New, SoftCover Original edition. Excellent Customer Service. Nº de ref. de la librería ABEUSA-16493
Descripción Estado de conservación: New. This is Brand NEW. Nº de ref. de la librería CBS-19082017-3119