A paperback book in fine condition, dated 2000. N° de ref. de la librería
Sinopsis: The first official history of the Public Record Office covered the years from its establishment in 1838 until 1958. This work concerns the following decade - especially the achievement of Stephen Wilson between 1960 and 1966 in switching more of the resources towards the records of the 19th and 20th centuries, which were increasingly in public demand. He had been appointed expressly for that purpose, and had to contend with the reluctance of most of his senior staff to see any diminution in the PRO's traditional role as the home of medieval studies. Wilson's successor, Harold Johnson, continued along the same path, and also had to deal with the effect of the Public Records Act 1967, which reduced the period after which records might normally be seen by the public from 50 to 30 years. The inadequacies of the PRO's 19th-century building in Chancery Lane had long been manifest, and more accommodation had to be found. This led to the decision to move to Kew, though only after an attempt by planners at the Ministry of Housing and local government to locate the PRO in the new town of Milton Keynes had been defeated. Under the Public Records Act 1958, the Lord Chancellor assumed ministerial responsibility for the PRO, and his department's influence - as well as that of Lord Denning who, as Master of the Rolls from 1962, was statutory chairman of the Advisory Council on Public Records - is evident in the records of events of the period.
Título: The Public Record Office 1959 - 1969
Editorial: Public Record Office
Año de publicación: 2000
Condición del libro: Fine
Edición: First Edition
Descripción Public Record Office Publications. Estado de conservación: Acceptable. Used - Acceptable. Crack in binding. Ex-library with wear and barcode page may have been removed. Nº de ref. de la librería Z1-B-012-00370