Featuring a wealth of new information and the work of acclaimed scholars from around the world, this monumental resource is the new standard reference on the 20th century's most influential conflict.
· 1,219 A–Z entries covering military culture and tactics for all engaged armies in unprecedented depth, describing important events (the sinking of the Lusitania, the Arab revolt), cultural and political figures (Ferdinand Foch, Wilfred Owen), geopolitical agreements (the covenant of the League of Nations), social issues (the role of religions), and much more
· 175 contributors, including scholars from the United States, Britain, China, Japan, Australia, France, Germany, Austria, and Scandinavia, giving this encyclopedia an unprecedented global perspective
· A separate primary source volume with 195 official documents, diary entries, and letters from all types of people involved in the war, with introductory information to place the documents in historical context
· An opening section of 35 battle and locational maps providing the geographic context necessary to understand how the conflict moved and where and why the battlefield stalled
· Insightful introductory essays that discuss the root causes of the war, the catalyzing events that lead to the outbreak of war, an overview of the war itself, and a discussion of the long-term impact of the war, providing context for the A–Z entries that follow
· A list of comparative military ranks, glossary, historiography, and general bibliography, plus a comprehensive chronology providing researchers and readers with a sense of time and relationship between the major events of the conflict
"Sinopsis" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
It was supposed to be "the war to end all wars." Instead, it opened the floodgate to a century of ethnic, religious, and ideological conflicts throughout the globe, all of it traceable to some extent to the entangled animosities and unprecedented carnage of World War I and the shortsighted, easily shattered peace that followed it.About the Author:
Spencer C. Tucker, PhD, is senior fellow in military history for ABC-CLIO and the author or editor of more than 40 books and encyclopedias, many of which have been recognized by awards.
Priscilla Mary Roberts, PhD, is an associate professor of history and Honorary Director of the Centre of American Studies at the University of Hong Kong. She spent 2003 as a visiting Fulbright scholar at the Institute for European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies at The George Washington University, Washington, D.C. She was the assistant editor of ABC-CLIO's Encyclopedia of the Korean War.
"Sobre este título" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Descripción ABC-CLIO, 2005. Hardcover. Estado de conservación: New. Never used!. Nº de ref. de la librería P111851094202
Descripción ABC-CLIO. Hardcover. Estado de conservación: New. 1851094202 . Nº de ref. de la librería MIA5351.2MHLVAM071117O0180P
Descripción ABC-CLIO, 2005. Hardcover. Estado de conservación: New. book. Nº de ref. de la librería M1851094202
Descripción Abc-Clio Inc, 2005. Hardcover. Estado de conservación: Brand New. 1538 pages. 12.00x9.50x6.00 inches. In Stock. Nº de ref. de la librería zk1851094202