Get step-by-step instructions for making Linux installation simple and painless; Familiarize yourself with the Linux shell, file system, and text editor; Use the XWindow System to customize your desktop menus, icons, window manager, and xterm; Create and publish formatted documents with Linux applications; Get step -by-step instructions for making Linux installation simple and painless; Gain key system administration skills including setting up users, automating system tasks, backing up and restoring files, and understanding the latest security issues and threats.
Plus, this edition includes thorough coverage of updated installation procedures, new KDE desktop tools, how to use the Mozilla web browser and gaim instant messaging, how to administer automounting file systems, and how to burn CDs and configure CD writers.
This book is accompanied by the UNLIMITED EDITION(tm) web site. Only original buyers of the book will have access through special codes to the site, and can then be privy new chapters monthly, updates on the state of the software, Linux-related articles.
"Sinopsis" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Unlimited Edition(TM) Whether you're a Linux newbie looking for goof-proof installation tips or a Red Hat veteran who wants the scoop on the latest networking, desktop, and server enhancements, this authoritative guide delivers all the information you need to make the most of Red Hat 7.2. From customizing a desktop system to troubleshooting a network or setting up a Web server, it's the only reference you'll ever need to become a Red Hat Linux pro. Inside, you'll find complete coverage of Red Hat Linux
* Take advantage of expert tips for fast, painless installation
* Learn your way around the Linux shell, file system, and X Window system
* Master Linux administration, from automating system tasks to managing modules and drivers
* Discover how easy it is to set up a LAN and connect to the Internet
* Get the scoop on configuring servers, from Web and print servers to e-mail and FTP servers
* New security features for this edition include how to monitor LAN traffic to identify network problems, guard ports against intruders, and track system logs
* Enhanced server coverage describes how to set up a MySQL server and master the new GRUB boot loader
Red Hat Linux 7.2 on 3 CD-ROMs!
* Linux 2.4 kernel plus a new journaling file system (ext3), glibc 2.2.4, and XFree86 4.1
* GNOME and KDE graphical desktop environments, including productivity applications, games, administration and Internet tools, and much more
* Apache Web Server, for publishing Web content on the Internet
* Samba file and print server, for sharing files, folders, and printers with Windows computers
* Routing and firewall tools, for routing data between your LAN and the Internet - and protecting your computer from intruders
* MySQL, for setting up a database server
Unlimited Edition(TM) Continuous Content
* Read or download all-new content
* Access a searchable version of the book
* Includes special bonus article: How to set up a Linux Wireless LAN
Site content available only to owners of this book. See the last page for details. www.hungryminds.com System Requirements: Intel 486-compatible or higher PC with CD-ROM drive. A minimum of 800MB free hard drive space; 16MB RAM. See the "What's on the CD-ROM" appendix for details and complete system requirements.
About the Author Chris Negus has been working with UNIX systems, the Internet, and (more recently) Linux systems for more than two decades. During that time, Chris worked at AT&T Bell Laboratories, UNIX System Laboratories, and Novell, helping to develop the UNIX operating system. Features from many of the UNIX projects Chris worked on at AT&T have found their way into Red Hat and other Linux systems. During the past few years, Chris has written several books on UNIX and the Internet, including Caldera OpenLinux Bible, Internet Explorer 4 Bible, and Netscape Plug-ins For Dummies for Hungry Minds (formerly IDG Books Worldwide). He also co wrote several books for Que Corporation, including The Complete Idiot's Guide to Networking (second and third editions) and Using UNIX (second edition). Chris's other writings include articles for Internet World, NetWare Connection, and Visual Developer magazines. At home, Chris enjoys spending time with his wife, Sheree, and his boys, Caleb and Seth. His hobbies include soccer, singing, and exercising with Sheree.
"Sobre este título" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Descripción Wiley, 2001. Paperback. Estado de conservación: New. Nº de ref. de la librería P110764536303
Descripción Wiley. PAPERBACK. Estado de conservación: New. 0764536303 New Condition. Nº de ref. de la librería NEW6.1292853
Descripción Wiley, 2001. Paperback. Estado de conservación: New. Nº de ref. de la librería DADAX0764536303