Gender Neutral Parenting: Raising kids with the freedom to be themselves
Our culture has strict rules for acceptable behavior for men and women. But what about kids who fall outside the boundaries of prescribed roles? This book is a guide for parents in the practical application of Gender Neutral Parenting - a parenting style based on respect for a child's self-identity and providing latitude in exploring their own version of gender and gender expressions. In Gender Neutral Parenting you'll learn the Five Skills Essential for GNP:
- Skill #1: Become Aware of Genderization
- Skill #2: Become Aware of Your Gender Bias
- Skill #3: Create a Gender Diverse Environment
- Skill #4: Start a Dialog About Gender
- Skill #5: Dealing With Family and Friends and Dispelling Myths
With practical examples and real world scenarios, this book will give you the strong foundation needed to implement GNP in your home and with your children. You'll learn about gender stereotypes for boys and girls and how to counteract them as a parent. Stereotypes covered include; Girl Genderization Stereotypes:
Boy Genderization Stereotypes:
- Stereotype: Girls Are More Social and Less Physical
- Stereotype: Girls Are Princesses
- Stereotype: Girls Are Boy Crazy, Sexual Temptresses
- Stereotype: Girls Are Pure and Virginal
- Stereotype: Boys Are Physically Active But Behind Socially and Verbally
- Stereotype: Boys Are Emotionally Stunted
- Stereotype: Boys Are Slaves To Their Sex Drive
- Stereotype: Boys Will Be Boys
You'll also learn how to deal with family and friends (and strangers) that don't understand your parenting approach. I'll answer questions like;
- "Are you trying to make her androgynous?"
- "Won't that make him gay?"
- "Why are you so anti-feminine/anti-masculine?"
- "Do you think she's trans*?"
- "You're raising a person not a social experiment."
- "She's going to hate you and need therapy." Or, "He'll be bullied."
- "I can't believe you let her play with Barbies! Don't you even care about her future?"
This book is for any parent, grandparent, or childcare teacher that wants a guide to raising kids without the strict limitations of gender roles and who wants to engage kids in conversations that will make them savvy media consumers and critical problem solvers around issues of gender and equality.
"Sinopsis" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
"This book is a must-have for anyone having to do with children. It explains exactly what gender neutral parenting is (it's about being okay with whatever gender your kid turns out being, not creating little genderless people) and what you can do in practice." - E. Medina Castrejon
"Fantastic read!" -Kamille
"A really comprehensive look at gender neutral parenting" - Ken Howe
"Sobre este título" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.