- Format of the series is unique, with a blend of full-color reproductions by the masters along with entertaining cartoon-like original illustrations from the author, displaying his humor.
- This series is printed in a dozen different languages worldwide; more than two million copies of the English editions have been sold since its initial publication.
- Special sales potential in museum gift shops.
- Includes listing of where featured works of art can be viewed.
National Social Studies Education Standards: Grades K-4:
Culture: I. Culture and cultural diversity:
- c. Describe ways in which language, stories, folktales, music, and artistic creations serve as expressions of culture and influence behavior of people living in a particular culture
- d. Compare ways in which people from different cultures think about and deal with their physical environment and social conditions
Time, Continuity, & Change: II.
- e. Demonstrate an understanding that people in different times and places view the world differently
"Sinopsis" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Mike Venezia is the author of several nonfiction books for children.From Booklist:
Reviewed with Mike Venezia's Winslow Homer.
Gr. 1-3. These two titles in Venezia's long-running Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists series offer biographical information as well as some basic art history. In Diego Velazquez, for instance, children will learn that seventeenth-century patrons often relied on portraits to "show off [their] power and wealth," a fact that may help them better appreciate the lavish attire and glittery jewels on display in many of the artist's major works. Winslow Homer puts the engraver turned painter in context of the nineteenth-century art scene, contrasting his rustic, naturalistic style with the mannered classicism preferred by other painters of the day. The absence of a glossary and an index in the books may frustrate report writers, and statements such as "Winslow didn't care what critics thought" seem a bit bold without source citations. However, the unusually abundant full-color reproductions more than justify this series' longevity, as do Venezia's lighthearted cartoons, which foster welcome associations between "art appreciation" and "fun." Jennifer Mattson
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved
"Sobre este título" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Descripción Children's Press(CT), 2004. Paperback. Estado de conservación: New. Mike Venezia Ilustrador. book. Nº de ref. de la librería M0516269801
Descripción Children's Press(CT), 2004. Paperback. Estado de conservación: New. Never used!. Nº de ref. de la librería P110516269801
Descripción Children's Press(CT), 2004. Paperback. Estado de conservación: New. Nº de ref. de la librería DADAX0516269801
Descripción Children's Press(CT). PAPERBACK. Estado de conservación: New. 0516269801 New Condition. Nº de ref. de la librería NEW7.0196081