An up-to-date and authoritative one-volume reference offering comprehensive coverage of the biology, climatology, oceanography, geology, history and current legal, political and human aspects of the Antarctic continent and the surrounding ocean and islands.
* Edited by Dr Bernard Stonehouse - a research scientist, writer and editor with wide-ranging field experience of Antarctica and the southern oceans
* Entries from 25 eminent contributors, writing under the direction of six advisory editors, ensures an up-to-date and authoritative presentation
* Comprehensive geographical coverage, including lands, coasts, major mountain ranges and individual features, all with co-ordinates and brief descriptions, and many in-text maps
* Includes study guides, offering 2-3000 words on key topics, which enable the user to follow themes of interest systematically and thematically, with key words linking to the A-Z entries within the Encyclopedia
* Features an eight page, fold-out coloured map section of the continent showing major geographical features
* Offers wide cross-disciplinary coverage of Antarctic and southern oceans from politics and sovereignty to marine zoology
* Written in a simple, straightforward style
Provides essential reading for all researchers and academics working in climatology, oceanography, geology and biology, as well as Polar researchers
"Sinopsis" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Antarctica is a major geographical region of our world and an important part of the global ecosystem. Including a continent larger than Australia and an ocean broader than the Atlantic, it makes up one-eighth of the World's surface. Knowledge gained by early explorers and more recently by scientists is proving increasingly important in world affairs. No longer remote at the southern end of the Earth, Antarctica and the southern oceans have become centres of general, historic, scientific and political interest.
The Encyclopedia of Antarctica and the Southern Oceans contains over 1300 articles, compiled by a team of 26 international researchers, who have worked in the area. Topics covered include:
This book is an up-to-date and authoritative reference on Antarctica and the southern oceans, essential for public libraries and reference sections of academic institutions, government departments and research centres. It is also of general use to any reader with an interest in Antarctica.Review:
"...this comprehensive tome spans subjects from the history of exploration to glaciology, geology and biology..." (New Scientist, 12 October 2002)
"...inquestionably a volume of good authority, accuracy and documentation and is a refence book that will be widely used in libraries and research institutions..." (Antarctic Science, Vol.15, No.1, 2003)
"...full of useful information...an atlas, gazetteer, dictionary, and encyclopedia all rolled into one..." (Polar Record, Vol.40 2004)
"Sobre este título" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Descripción Estado de conservación: New. Estado de la sobrecubierta: New. Shipped promptly and delivered within 3 to 5 working days. For PO BOX, APO, FPO and Puerto Rico addresses delivery done in 20 to 25 working days. Serving customers since 2006. Thousand of satisfied customers!. Nº de ref. de la librería MISC_9780471986652_Wiley1012_16
Descripción Wiley, 2002. Hardcover. Estado de conservación: New. Never used!. Nº de ref. de la librería P110471986658
Descripción Wiley, 2002. Hardcover. Estado de conservación: New. 1. Nº de ref. de la librería DADAX0471986658
Descripción Wiley, 2002. Hardcover. Estado de conservación: New. book. Nº de ref. de la librería M0471986658
Descripción Hardcover. Estado de conservación: New. This Book is in Good Condition; Customer Satisfaction Comes First.Delivery Time 4-12 days. 100% Money back Guaranteed!!!. Nº de ref. de la librería 0471986658
Descripción Estado de conservación: Brand New. Brand New Original US Edition, Perfect Condition. Printed in English. Excellent Quality, Service and customer satisfaction guaranteed!. Nº de ref. de la librería AIND-94716
Descripción Estado de conservación: New. New. US edition. Perfect condition. Customer satisfaction our priority. Nº de ref. de la librería ABE-FEB-47584
Descripción Estado de conservación: Brand New. New. US edition. Customer Satisfaction guaranteed!!. Nº de ref. de la librería SHUB47584
Descripción Estado de conservación: New. Brand New Original US Edition.We Ship to PO BOX Address also. EXPEDITED shipping option also available for faster delivery. Nº de ref. de la librería AUSBNEW-94716
Descripción Estado de conservación: Brand New. New, US edition. Excellent Customer Service. Nº de ref. de la librería ABEUSA-47584