Grunge, nip and tuck, pesto, and chill out--these are but a sampling of the over nine thousand new words and phrases to be found in The Concise Oxford Dictionary, Ninth Edition. This new and updated edition of Oxford's best selling single-volume dictionary brings together the latest and most comprehensive research in current English, based on the massive and constantly expanding database of the Oxford English Dictionary. Containing over 150,000 entries and 230,000 definitions, the Concise boasts up to 25% more content than the previous edition to give users the tools they need to stay current with our ever-changing language. Each entry is written in a clear, straightforward style to facilitate ease of use.
New features of the ninth edition of the Concise Oxford English Dictionary include:
· Over 25% new material
· Over 9,000 new words and phrases
· 150,000 entries and 230,000 definitions
· The most up-to-date spellings, with improved coverage of meaning, usage and coverage based on a computer 'snapshot' of today's language
· Over 300 new boxed usage notes with guidance on good English by a team of expert lexicographers
· New, clearer etymologies with extensive coverage of idioms, phrases, and abbreviations
· Improved coverage of scientific and technical terms including the new fields of environmental studies and information services
· New words and phrases including: pan-fry, post-traumatic stress, body wrap, multiculturalism, Cajun, heli-skiing, and thousands more
· New, more up-to-date pronunciation system, representing today's received pronunciation
· Thorough international coverage, making the Concise a bestseller worldwide
The Concise Oxford Dictionary, Ninth Edition, a standard within its field, is the definitive resource for scholars, professionals, and general readers alike.
"Sinopsis" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
About the Editor:
Della Thompson is the Managing Editor of the Concise Oxford Dictionary Group, and also editor of the Pocket Oxford Dictionary and co-editor of the Pocket Oxford Russian Dictionary.
"Sobre este título" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Descripción Oxford University Press, 1995. Hardcover. Estado de conservación: New. Never used!. Nº de ref. de la librería P110198613199
Descripción Oxford University Press, 1995. Hardcover. Estado de conservación: New. book. Nº de ref. de la librería M0198613199