"All in all, this text does many things a modern text should do--it provides excellent standard content coverage for the time period, it teaches students about the methodology of history, it illustrates that our knowledge of the events of history was not decided by historians centuries ago but instead is constantly evolving, it fits the ancient world into a more global perspective, and it helps students relate to the past. What more could an instructor want in a text?"--Jana S. Pisani, Ferris State UniversityReseña del editor:
Challenging the stereotypes and myths that typically characterize students' understanding of antiquity, Ancient Mediterranean Civilizations: From Prehistory to 640 CE focuses on continuity and connections, along with cultural diffusion and cultural diversity, to show how history is a cumulative process and that numerous themes recur in different times and places. The text also explores sensitive issues and debates including attitudes toward race, ethnicity, and tolerance; gender issues and roles; slavery; social mobility; religion; political evolution; the nature of government; and imperialism.
* "History Laboratory": Concise observations on how historians use different methodologies to interpret historical evidence—including mysterious objects like the "Ice Man" and the Antikythera device—and to debunk pseudoscience
* "Historical Controversy": Reflections that explore conflicting modern interpretations of such ancient phenomena as Noah's Flood, "Black Athena," Athenian democracy, and Alexander the Great's character
* "A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words": Illustrations of distinctive material artifacts—buildings, frescoes, pots, statues, and more—accompanied by brief essays explaining how nonliterary material can shed light on ancient cultures
* "Mysteries of History": Selections that address puzzling and intriguing aspects of the past (i.e., "Cleopatra, The Legend and the Reality")
* "In Their Own Words": Extended quotations (from literary or epigraphical texts) that exemplify each chapter's main themes and show how various types of written documents can help students learn about history
* Stunning Interior Design: More than 200 maps and illustrations—including an eight-page color portfolio—offer the richest and most pedagogical art program of any comparable text available
* Image Image Bank CD containing more than 100 PowerPoint-based slides and approximately forty maps, organized to accompany the text. Available to adopters of the text.
"Sobre este título" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Descripción Oxford University Press, USA, 2011. Paperback. Estado de conservación: New. 1. Nº de ref. de la librería DADAX0195378385
Descripción Oxford University Press, 2011. Paperback. Estado de conservación: New. Nº de ref. de la librería P110195378385
Descripción Oxford University Press, 2011. Paperback. Estado de conservación: New. book. Nº de ref. de la librería 0195378385