Reviews from hardback edition
‘Marvellous array of maps from all periods of railway history’ Modern Locomotives Illustrated
‘Will appeal not only to geographers and cartographers but to general rail enthusiasts too.’ The Railway Magazine
‘Sumptuous production that one could pore over for hours and still find much of interest.’ Today’s RailwayReseña del editor:
Follow the development, decline and revival of Britain’s railways through a unique collection of old and new maps, commentaries and photographs. Charting the rich history of Britain’s railways from 1819 to the present day, this fascinating compendium shows how trains have played an essential part in British life for nearly 200 years.
Throughout this engaging book is a series of 'milepost' features on key events, eras and personalities in the history of Britain’s railways. From the enormous role the railways played in the World Wars to modern events, like the opening of the Channel Tunnel, this extensive book shows you how British history is firmly tied to the railways. The story is traced from early ‘waggonways’, through the steam era to today’s diesel and electric railways.
Mapping the Railways will appeal to railway enthusiasts, historians and general interest readers alike.
Over 100 railway maps:
• Historical and modern rail network maps
• Extracts from Ordnance Survey sheets
• Plans for proposed railway schemes
• Track diagrams and official reports
• Pictorial maps, posters and ephemera
• Cartography by Bartholomew, Airey, Bradshaw and many others
Pivotal events in railway history:
• The nineteenth century saw the foundations laid for our modern railway network, with huge building projects constructing thousands of miles of track, bridges and tunnels
• Expansion slowed in the early twentieth century as competition from the car and the lorry began to bite
• Railways made an enormous contribution to the World Wars, then underwent massive re-equipment after nationalization
• Drastic change followed the 'Beeching Report' of 1963, which advocated closure of underused rail lines
• The modern era has seen an expansion of the network again, with the building of the Channel Tunnel and the re-opening of a significant number of lines closed under the 'Beeching axe', many as heritage railways.
"Sobre este título" puede pertenecer a otra edición de este libro.
Descripción Paperback. Estado de conservación: Very Good. The book has been read, but is in excellent condition. Pages are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine remains undamaged. Nº de ref. de la librería GOR005517476
Descripción Collins, 2013. Paperback. Estado de conservación: Used; Good. Nº de ref. de la librería 1422338
Descripción Collins, 2013. Paperback. Estado de conservación: Used; Good. **SHIPPED FROM UK** We believe you will be completely satisfied with our quick and reliable service. All orders are dispatched as swiftly as possible! Buy with confidence!. Nº de ref. de la librería 1693986
Descripción Collins, Glasgow, 2013. Card Covers. Estado de conservación: Very Good. 1st Paperback Edition. 1st Impression. Card Covers: pp304, numerous illustrations of old maps and a few photographic illustrations, bibliography, index. Card covers[ Vg] ** The journey of Britain's railways through maps from 1819 to the present day. Size: 10 3/4 " x 8 1/2". Nº de ref. de la librería 003650
Descripción Collins, 2013. Soft cover. Estado de conservación: Near Fine. Near fine soft cover,no inscriptions.2013,eedition.304pp,fully illustrated. Nº de ref. de la librería 25026
Descripción Collins, Glasgow, 2013. Pictorial Cover. Estado de conservación: Very Good. No Jacket. N/A Ilustrador. 2013. Collins, Glasgow, 2013. Pictorial soft cover. Book Condition : Very Good, like new, appears unread. Absolutely packed with superb maps charting Britain,s Railways. Heavy book will require extra postage. Bookseller Inventory# 003776. Size: 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. N/A. Soft Back Card. Nº de ref. de la librería 003776
Descripción Collins. Book. Estado de conservación: Used - Very Good. Not an ex-library edition. Text body is clean, and free from previous owner annotation, underlining and highlighting. Binding is tight, covers and spine fully intact. Cover shows mild surface and edge wear. Page edges largely clean, lightly marked on top edge. Nº de ref. de la librería gT25-035-1feb16